TRIPLE BERRY BALSAMIC GALETTE
Seasonal summer berries are a treat in warm sweet pies, this one includes the enriching addition of balsamic reduction and the subtle taste of basil.
Although this galette is not too sweet, we always try to keep our recipes as low sugar as we can. You can add more sugar to sweeten our triple berry balsamic galette up to your taste.
As usual, this is gluten free and dairy free; same crust as our caramel apple pie. Start with our sweet flour blend, add some extra coconut flour, the crust is made the same way a gluten pie crust is made, except we made it a bit more wet. The end result was a galette that folded up a little better.
Balsamic reduction adds a real depth and fullness to the triple berry combination. There is no tang when balsamic vinegar is reduced down, it retains its robust flavour and looses the vinegary twang. The easy recipe and video to make this happen is on our sister blog, Cookin’ It Easy.
Fresh basil brings a little subtly to the backend of this flavour profile. You can’t tell its basil, you just notice that something fun is at the end.
Lastly, this crust, while not flaky is soft and sturdy, It doesn’t crumble or break, it just melts like a berry filled cookie.
This pairs beautifully with coffee and whip cream. Enjoy!
Triple Berry Balsamic Galette
- parchment paper
- Rolling Pin
- pastry blender
- large bowl
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 1 cup sweet flour gluten free blend, our recipe
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup vegan butter sticks, we used MELT
- 4-5 tbsp aquafaba, very icy
- 2 cups strawberry, cut in half
- ½ cup blueberry
- 1/2 cup cherry, pitted, cut in half
- 6 tbsp coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 ½ tbsp balsamic reduction, recipe Cookin' It Easy, link in write up
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp basil chiffonade (optional), recipe Cookin' It Easy, link in write up
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Wash fruit. Cut strawberries and cherries in half, pit cherries.
- Whisk flour blend, coconut flour and salt together
- Cut in vegan baking sticks with a pastry blender or food processor
- Add icy aquafaba, 1 Tbsp at a time and mix together with a fork.
- Dough should be soft and stick together, make dough slightly wet, rather than too dry.
- Put dough in fridge to rest, while you make filling
- Place all three berries in bowl. Chiffonade the basil, if using.
- Add lemon juice, sugar, salt, coconut flour, vanilla and xanthan gumAdd balsamic reduction to berries and stir
- The mixture needs to be thick to stay in the galette.
- Roll out pastry to a rough circle on a parchment, add berries and mixture to the centre.
- Pick up sides of the parchment, careful to fold the pastry gently over the filling.Move around the circle folding gently as you go.
- Carefully move pastry to a cookie sheet (this may be a two person job).
- To garnish: brush the exposed sides of the pastry with vegan butter and sprinkle with cane sugar
- Bake @ 350 for 15 minutes, turning down to 325 F for remaining 45 minutes or until filling sets.If crust is browning too quickly, add tin foil over it while baking.