Sweet Pecans – gf, df, egg-free, vegan
Simple, delicious, sweet and crunchy; sweet pecans are lovely on their own or spectacular paired with other ingredients.
This recipe came to me as a Christmas recipe from someone who had eating restrictions 20 years ago and had no options for Christmas treats; but it’s such an outstanding recipe that chef husband and I started adding it to other things, like salads, as in the Strawberry Pecan Summer Salad. Other ideas are toppings on cookies, made into ice cream, breakfast toppings for oatmeal, granola or smoothie bowls.
Originally, sweet pecans recipe called for egg-whites. I have substituted them for aquafaba, our favourite canned chick pea water. Which means I can enjoy sweet pecans again and have shared the recipe so everyone can enjoy it.
I also reduced the sugar and used coconut palm sugar. They are still very sweet and so delicious.
Sweet Pecans includes alcohol, originally calling for Amaretto, we used Vanilla Liqueur; if you can’t have alcohol, I encourage you to make a vanilla or almond simple syrup or find an extract and dilute it to substitute in.
A little warning, if you like munching on nuts, these are addictive! They are so tasty, you’ll find yourself eating them as soon as they are cooled from the oven. I humbly suggest you store them in an airtight container and save some to enjoy in other recipes.
- cookie sheet
- large bowl
- 4 cups pecan halves
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 ½ tbsp vanilla liqueur
- ⅓ cup aquafaba, egg replacement (chickpea water)
- Preheat oven to 300 F, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (this gets sticky!)
- Whisk sugar, liqueur and aquafaba together.
- Add pecans and coat thoroughly
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and arrange flat
- Bake in oven For about 30 - 45 min, until liquid is all baked into pecans
- Stir every 10-15 minutes, very important, it will seem foamy, this good, its working