Spice Cake with Pumpkin Spice Whipped Coconut Cream
A light and fluffy spice cake, with whipped pumpkin spice coconut cream, warm vegan caramel sauce and sweet pecans. This birthday treat will top your list of fall go to recipes.
It’s birthday time again in my house and I ask everyone to pick their cake. I was given the parameters of ‘use pumpkin’, so I chose a pumpkin spice whipped coconut cream on top of a fluffy gluten free spice cake. Pumpkin pairs so well with caramel and pecans, I couldn’t resist using some previous recipes to add some decadence to the birthday dessert and it’s a vegan and gluten free taste delight!
We started with sweet gluten free flour blend, used whipped aquafaba for the eggs and to help keep the recipe fluffy. I chose to bake the spice cake in muffin tins to make the shape more interesting and topped it with pumpkin spice flavoured whipped cream. I kept everything fairly low sugar so you can add a sweet vegan caramel sauce and sweet pecans to up the sweetness without it being overly sugary.
I wanted a individual cakes, so we made them about 3″ round and 3″ tall. They rose up, full of air, moist and tender with a warm almost cookie flavour. Paired with a airy textured pumpkin spice whip, they texture sensation on this recipe was a beautiful mouth experience.
We topped the spice cake and pumpkin spice coconut whip cream with vegan caramel sauce and sweet pecans! It was a decadent birthday treat.
- Small cake tins
- hand mixer
- large bowl
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- ½ cup vegan baking sticks, we used MELT
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 cups sweet gluten free flour blend, our recipe
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 ¼ cup coconut milk, use ¼ cup more, if using eggs
Fold in last
- ½ cup whipped aquafaba, to replace 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 FGrease small cake tins or round cake pan.
- Whip the aquafaba with a hand mixer on high, so its 4 times its original volume with soft peaks
- Cream vegan baking sticks, gradually add sugar and whip until creamy.Add vanilla
- Sift in ⅓ of flour, mixing with hand mixerAdd ½ the coconut milk and mix inRepeat ending with flour, spices, baking soda, powder and xanthan gum
- Gently fold in whipped aquafaba, keeping as much air as possible.
- Place in prepare cake pan(s)Bake in oven at 350 for 25-35 minutes, depending on size of cake pan(s) used. Test for doneness when a cake tester comes out clean
Pumpkin Spice Coconut Whipped Cream
- hand mixer
- cold, tall bowl
- cold, beaters or balloon whisk
- 1 can coconut cream, cold (not frozen)
- ½ can organic 100% pumpkin, cold
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice,
- Make sure all ingredients and tools are cold, not frozen.
- Place coconut cream and pumpkin in a tall bowl and begin beating or whisking on high until light peaks form.
- Add sugar and spice and continue whisking until stiffer peaks form. I wanted my to drizzle over the top of my cake, so I stopped at medium stiff peaks and drizzled it over my cooled cake and put it in the fridge to set up again.