SOY-FREE, EGG-FREE BREAKFAST SCRAMBLE
NO EGGS, NO SOY
A protein packed alternative to eggs and soy for a hearty breakfast or weekend brunch.
We’ve been playing with hemp hearts a lot lately, they are a versatile and protein-packed health food that is often over looked. They have a lot of misconceptions and myths about them, that people don’t understand what a great health food they are.
Regardless, they turn into a beautiful, not-egg, soy-free scramble. In fact, my chef husband (cookin’ it easy blog) made a tofu scramble to match my soy free scramble and mine turned out closer in texture and flavour to the egg replacement we were going for. Win!
Obviously, everyone has their favourite scrambled egg toppings, so have fun with this. You can sample the soy-free, egg-free scramble base once it’s cool enough and start pairing in your head. You won’t need to add extra vegan cheese to it, if you don’t want, it’s salty and cheesy enough. I think of mushrooms, jalepenos, peppers, onions, tomatoes, vegan meats or meat if you aren’t vegan, spinach, kale, swiss chard. This soy free scramble has lots of flavour, so don’t be afraid to add ingredients that have a punch to them, the spinach I added almost was eclipsed by the scramble itself!
Our roast garlic came from this recipe. We used some of the oil the garlic was roasted in to add to our flavours. We added turmeric and smoked salt to our soy-free, egg-free base. It gives it a savoury punch that reminded us of a strong cheddar cheese. If you don’t have smoked salt, 1/2 tsp of liquid smoke and sea salt would work.
BENEFITS OF HEMP
- Each serving (3 tablespoons) is packed with 10 grams of plant-based protein.
- healthy fats, 12 grams of omegas 3 and 6 per serving.
- light, nutty flavor complements almost any dish.
- a soy-free alternative protein for vegetarians, vegans and health seekers – hemp hearts contain all 10 essential amino acids
Roast Garlic Hemp Heart Scramble
- sauce pan
Hemp heart soak
- ¾ cup hemp heart
- 1 cup water, hot
- 3 cloves roast garlic, small
- 1 tsp roast garlic oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¾ tsp smoked salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
Add when cooking cheese
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
To make into scramble
- 1 tsp olive oil, for cooking
- 1 each green onion, sliced thin
- ½ each tomato, diced
- ½ cup spinach, optional
Making hemp heart scramble base
- Soak all hemp heart soak ingredients in a blender cup for at least 30 minutes, up to 4 hours.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour blended help heart soak into a sauce pan and cook over medium - medium low heat, until almost dry. Keep stirring, it curdles, gets lumpy and sticky.
- Add apple cider vinegar and continue cooking until desired dryness is achieved, much like cooking eggs. We stopped when it was still wet enough to stick together, but not sloppy
- Transfer to another container to cool in fridge for 2-4 hours.
To make scramble
- Add oil to a small skillet.
- Add hemp scramble mix and green onion, its sticky still, so bring it to heat but you will need to flip it, like eggs.
- Add tomato and mix in, flipping to create scramble.
- Add to toast or favourite brunch plate or in wrap.