ROASTED BROCCOLI SOUP
DAIRY FREE, NUT FREE, GLUTEN FREE
Another recipe created because I miss having something that I used to have when I ate dairy.
Broccoli is one of those vegetables we struggle with in our house. My family generally won’t eat cooked vegetables and I get sick of just salad. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE salad, I just want more variety in my vegetable options. I started roasting my vegetables. This was the cure. The slightly charred flavour without over cooking the veggies made it palatable for the whole family.
This recipe got roasted broccoli. 2 cups worth roasted while I prepped the other ingredients including the hemp cream.
I suggest you check out the hemp cream recipe post. Using it to make plant based creams that are not nut based makes me a happy person. I have options again. Furthermore, as I use hemp cream more I will post more pictures and suggestions about what you can create with it. For this recipe I adapted it from the original post because of the flavours and textures I wanted to capture in my soup. I also made too much so we froze half of the hemp cream and made a Rose Sauce (Rose Sauce starts with Marinara sauce and has cream added) which we used over Gnocchi later in the week. FYI the Marinara Sauce recipe is posted on our sister blog, run by my chef husband, Cookin’ It Easy.
Mine turned out very thick, we like thick soup, you can add more vegetable stock or reduce the xanthan gum to ¾ tsp to adjust.
I did not clean my sauce pan after sweating onions and celery. I deglazed it, with hot banana pepper brine. This means adding the acid to the hot dry pan, it pulls the last of the flavours from the pan and adds a little liquid to the onions for blending. I added veg stock to this same sauce pan without cleaning it to finish the soup.
Roast Broccoli Soup
- 2 cups broccoli florettes - seasoned and roasted
- ¾ cup hemp hearts
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ onion
- 1 clove roasted garlic
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 tsp butter flavoured coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp hot pepper brine or white wine, red wine, sherry, olive brine
- ¾ - 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- ¾ - 1 cup dairy free cheddar cheese optional
- Oil, salt and pepper broccoli florettes, roast @ 400F for up to 20 minutes, until desired blackness on tips appears (you should be able to smell when they are ready)
- Soak hemp hearts in water, add ¼ tsp of salt and ¾ – 1 tsp of xanthan gum (1 tsp made it very thick, you can reduce this)
- Chop onion & celery to equal sized pieces, saute in 1 tsp of butter flavoured coconut oil, olive oil or regular coconut oil.
- Once the onions sweat, add coriander and cook until onions begin to brown. Deglaze the pan with hot pepper brine or the acid of your choice, white or red wine will work too.
- Add 1 clove of roasted garlic, onions & celery mix to soaking hemp hearts and blend until smooth. Remove ½ to save for another recipe (freezes well), place ½ aside.
- Add ¼ veg stock and roasted broccoli to empty blender cup or food processor, pulse until the broccoli is less chunky, use your desired broccoli sized pieces as your goal.
- Add remainder or veg stock to pan and bring to simmer. Add pulsed broccoli and whisk.
- Add ½ seasoned hemp cream to the broccoli veg stock mix and whisk immediately and thoroughly. Heat through.
- Serve as cream of broccoli soup, add salt and pepper to taste or add vegan cheese to desired flavour, then salt and pepper to taste.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup, I can’t remember the last time…
- I hadn’t found a plant milk I thought would suit this recipe, until…
- HEMP CREAM!
- Roasted broccoli makes the flavour better
- My whole family loved it.