Peaches & Cream Waffle Tacos
Peaches & Cream Waffle Tacos, a hand-held, fun retake on pancakes or waffles with fresh vegan cream and seasonal peaches.
I am loving the fresh seasonal peaches and I made another pancakes promise to my family. While I was making the pancake batter and peeling peaches, I realized if I made them mini waffles, fit a peach slice inside, this usual knife and fork meal, could be fun and hand held.
My family was thrilled and wowed. They all asked for extra vegan cream for the peach and waffle tacos. It was a roaring success.
Notes on how to prepare:
We started the waffle batter with our sweet gluten free flour blend. We didn’t use any extra thickeners or gums, we replaced the eggs with aquafaba and psyllium husks. Normally I use double duty, both xanthan gum and psyllium husks to make sure they stay together but this time I wanted them to be a little flimsy, more like crepes and fold up like tacos.
We made our batter in a blender, if you choose to whisk it all together like our perfect pancakes post, you can find that method in that recipe.
We peeled our peaches, just like in the Spicy Peach Plantain Salsa, it’s easy and if you don’t know how to peel peaches, check it out the method on that post.
We also used our sweet hemp cream. If you don’t want to use or make it, then be sure that whatever cream you are using as a replacement is thick and a little sweet. We mixed it with coconut cream. We didn’t use straight coconut cream because then the recipe would taste like peaches and coconut cream and the coconut cream would overpower the other flavours. However, that is my taste, use what you like, sweeten how you want and adapt my recipes to suit you!
Peaches & Cream Waffle Tacos
- small bowl
- 2 blender cups
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- paring knife
- Mini Waffle Iron (if you don't have one, make these as pancake tacos! in a skillet)
- 1 each peach, peeled & halved
- 2 cups sweet gluten free flour blend, our recipe
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ¾ cup plant milk, we used unsweetened vanilla oat milk
- ½ cup aquafaba, egg replacer with
- 1 tsp psyllium husks
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup sweet hemp cream, our recipe
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 each peaches, sliced
- Remove peels from 3 ripe peaches. See instructions on how in Spicy Peach Plantain Salsa post. 1 peach should be in halves. Slice 2 peaches and set aside.Add psyllium husks to aquafaba and sugar, whisk and set aside to set up.
- Make sweet hemp cream, see our recipe
- Add coconut milk and cinnamon to hemp cream, portion into cups or pour into serving pitcher.
Make Waffle batter
- Two options on making waffle batter:1. You can follow this procedure on our perfect pancakes post - the procedure is the same.2. You can add ingredients into a blender, starting and ending with wet ingredients so powders don't stick to the sides too much
- We choose option 2 today:
- Load milk first, then all dry ingredients mix, then peaches and last sugar, psyllium husks & aquafaba mix. Blend until smooth
- Test one waffle first. Pour waffle batter into maker, or waffle pan and test it, it needs to be runny batter and fold nicely when cooked.
- Once waffles are prepared arrange peaches and waffles either in taco form or stacked, add cream on the side so you can enjoy adding more as you eat.