LUSCIOUS LEMON SHORTBREAD BARS
My husband and I used to have a catering company. Lemon shortbread bars was one of our best selling treats on our lunch catering. If you love lemon, you’ll love this adaptation of the original recipe. The original had gluten, dairy and eggs. So we have adapted this luscious gem to be gluten free and vegan.
And it turned out just like we remembered it…!
When you bake with lemon, you have to add so much sugar to balance out the tartness, so I have switched the recipe to honey. Since this recipes crust is specific to shortbread, I kept the icing sugar in it, since nothing tastes like shortbread than icing sugar. We used vegan butter for the butter and these have the flavour to carry the original taste through. My favourite vegan butter is MELT buttery sticks. These bad boys work wonders as 1:1 substitutes for butter in my recipes. I substituted the lemon with….just kidding. Lemon juice stayed as lemon juice.
The final recipe turned out pretty high in sugar, for me, even though we used honey instead of regular sugar in the filling. 34g in this substitution recipe when the original was 37g. It did however, taste and behave the same as the original recipe even though it was gluten free, egg free and dairy free. That’s a huge win. The taste though, sweet, soft and lemony.
Luscious Lemon Shortbread Bars
- hand mixer
- square pan
- large bowl
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- pastry blender or food processor
- 1 cup Sweet Gluten Free Flour Blend, our recipe
- ½ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- ¼ tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ cup Lemon Juice
- ½ cup aquafaba
- ¾ cup honey
- 1 small lemon rind
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ cup gluten free flour
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ tsp. psyllium husks
- Crust in a large glass bowl. Whisking dry ingredients together and cutting in butter with a pastry knife or pulse in a food processor
- Crust should be sticky! And trying to clump together.
- Pour crust into a square pan and distribute evenly. Press lightly with a saran wrapped hand to cover the bottom. If necessary use very wet hands and press into place.
- Bake crust in oven @ 325 for 15-20 min
- Meanwhile In the same bowl as the crust was made, add lemon rind, flour, baking powder, psyllium husks, xanthin gum and chick pea water (aquafaba). Whisk together.
- Add honey. Whisk. Add lemon juice last and whisk together.
- Pour batter onto the hot crust. Bake in oven @ 325F for another 35 min.
- Remove from oven and cool on counter for 15 minutes.
- At this point the lemon will sink to a level place, scrap down the sides
- Cool remaining time in the fridge.