Gluten free, Egg free Bagels
Crisp on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside, these honey flax bagels are boiled in sweet water to ensure their sweet chewy flavour. They are gluten free, dairy and egg free, delightful with dairy free cream cheese, fruit, pb & jam.
Gluten free, egg free bagels are a creature and need to have their steps followed pretty closely to get a nice bagel result. This will take about 2 hours to complete.
Millet flour in the key to the beautiful crumb on this gluten free, egg free bagel. We used that in our gluten free bread flour blend. Other bread flour blends weren’t as successful with this recipe, the millet flour makes the consistency perfect.
Another key ingredient is the psyllium husks and xanthan gum. The rising and boiling stages are pretty critical for these bagels and our gluten free dough is fragile without eggs to hold it together. To make it egg free, it needs to have binders to allow the air to make pockets without the dough falling apart. We replaced the eggs with lightly beaten aquafaba.
Avert your eyes vegans, we sweetened the recipe with honey!
Last important notes to make your bagel making experience easier. Prepare as much of the last parts in advance as you can. Parchment greased sheets and wraps for the bagels, are important, gluten free, egg free bagels will rise into each other if not wrapped and you will have flat bagels not tall ones. Do not over proof your dough! 1 hour is all it needs.
Bake, then boil, then bake the bagels. This essential step is explained in the recipe. DO NOT SKIP IT! This last step happens pretty quickly so, try to time it so the kids are leaving you alone to make this stage happen smoothly.
Honey Flax Bagels, gluten & egg free
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- large bowl
- cookie sheet
- large sauce pan or deep skillet
- slotted spoon
- parchment paper
- small round cutters or tin foil to keep holes from disappearing
- 225 g water, (1 cup) 115 °
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 5 g psyllium husks (2 tsp)
- 18 g honey (1 tbsp)
- 385 g gluten free bread flour blend, (2.5 cups) our recipe
- 25 g flax meal (¼ cup)
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp sea salt
Wet ingredients, lightly beaten
- 80 g aquafaba, (½ cup)
- 40 g olive oil (3 tbsp)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 6-8 cups water
- Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment, sprayed with oil.Make 4 parchment wraps about 2" x the width of the parchment roll. Spray to greaseMake 4 - 1" tin foil circles to go in the middle of bagels or use cutting rings to prevent dough from rising into the centre of bagels.
Start activating yeast
- Put hot water, yeast, psyllium husks and honey in a glass bowl and whisk to combine.Set aside to start bubbling.
Combine dry ingredients
- In a large bowl, measure and combine flour, salt, xanthan gum, flax meal. Whisk to remove lumps.
- Measure aquafaba and olive oil into a bowl and whisk or beat with hand mixer to give it some volume.
Add wet to dry
- Pour aquafaba and olive oil into dry ingredients and begin mixing with a hand mixer.Add activated yeast mixture and combine with hand mixer until dough forms.Dough should look like thick cake batter
Make & rise bagels
- Separate dough into 4 portions with a spatula.
- Prepare a bowl of water to dip your hands in.
- With spatula, move 1 portion of bagel dough into wet hands. Gently form into a ball.
- Place on prepared cookie sheet and gently make a hole in the centre with a wet finger. Place cutter or 1" round tin foil ring in the hole and wrap parchment around the outside, making sure to get the parchment all the way to the bottom of the bagel dough.
- Place bagels in a draft free place for 1 hour to rise.
Bake & boil
- At 45 minutes of rising, preheat oven to 425° F (400° F on a convection oven)Bring water and sugar to a rolling boil in a large sauce pan or deep skillet (the bagels must float)
- Bake bagels for 4 minutes in oven to harden the outside. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP
- Carefully flip bagels onto slotted spoon to move them into boiling water. I boiled 2 at a time.Boil bagels 30 seconds per side, flipping carefully with slotted spoon and the spatula.Move bagels to a wire rack to drain for 2 minutes
- Replace on parchment lined cookie sheet and move back into oven to bake for another 20 minutes or until golden brown.