Ginger Carrot Soup
Zesty with ginger and full of sweet carrot nutrients, this soup will warm your stomach and your heart knowing you are eating healthy and clean. A simple soup to make with no special ingredients, this thick and hearty ginger carrot soup is naturally gluten free and vegan.
We waited to make this until our garden had ripe carrots to use. It helps to use vegetables in season. The taste is always better knowing you grew the vegetables yourself. If you don’t have a garden, visit a local farm market and buy your fresh carrots. The addition of ginger, while it pairs perfectly, also helps with fall cold. Certain properties of fresh ginger, help ward off germs, soothes nausea, help your body fight illness and inflammation. Always use fresh ginger in ginger carrot soup; ground ginger is never the same.
We did use ground turmeric in this recipe, it adds to the anti-inflammation properties of the ginger carrot soup. Again, if you have fresh, you can use it, but its a spicy number so use a small amount.
We garnished with cilantro, because of the Indian style spices, if you don’t have garam masala, use ground cumin in its place. Ginger carrot soup is very gingery, if you have trouble tolerating that much ginger, make it the first time with ½ – ¾ as much as we used. If you are feeling like a cold might be coming on I encourage you to use the full amount and eat smaller portions.
We used vegetable stock from Cookin’ It Easy blog. It’s a simple recipe, save your carrot peels, your onion peels and celery ends for the vegetable stock. We keep ours in the freezer and always have a decent supply of fresh items for the vegetable stocks we use. Not vegan? Ginger carrot soup can also be made with chicken or turkey stock if you have any left over from Thanksgiving.
Love soups with bread? We made a beautiful onion thyme gluten free soup bowl you could serve this in. We also have 6 other fall soup recipes that are packed with vegetables and all gluten free and vegan to keep your soup desires fulfilled.
- Roasted Broccoli & Cheddar Soup, df, nf
- Vegan Cream of Leek and Turnip Soup
- French Onion Soup – Gluten-free, Vegan
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Vegan Tomato Basil Soup
- Rich & Spicy Vegan Beet Chili
Ginger Carrot Soup
- vegetable peeler
- sauce pan
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- wooden spoon
- cutting board
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, about 1 thumb sized pieces, peeled and chopped
- 5-6 medium carrots, rough chopped
- 1 onion, small - medium rough chopped
- 3 celery, rough chopped
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- ½ tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock, see link in write up
- Peel carrots (save the peels for stock)Rough chop all vegetables, carrots, celery, onions, ginger
- Heat oil in a medium sauce panAdd celery and onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking
- Add carrots and ginger cook for 3 more minutes, while stirring to prevent sticking
- Add all spices and cook for another 3-5 minutes, stir to combine. When ready you should be able to smell turmeric and garam masala. They will smell lovely.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to simmer and cover. Cook for about 30 - 45 minutes or until carrots are soft.
- Take off heat and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.