– gf & vegan
Crispy exterior, soft and tender interior, full of flavour and no crumbly mess. These are all the things you want from a great baguette and this french baguette recipe has them!
Every time I am in other countries, I appreciate how much those cultures are built on bread. Those places make good bread! REALLY good bread.
This has lead me to appreciate bread making in the past 4 years. Both as gluten and gluten free. I understand how those cultures have spent years passing the recipes down and really ensuring the techniques and honesty of good bread isn’t lost.
This bread, this gluten free French Baguette, has all those things. My goal isn’t just bread that’s ok, passable or edible. I want a french baguette that makes your knees weak. I’m very pleased with this recipe. I hope you are too!
There are no special techniques in this recipe. Except for spooning the batter into the parchment lined pan, at the end, and smoothing it out. The batter won’t be a dough like gluten bread but a sticky batter that can hold a shape. We talk about batter and consistency in this page. If we made the batter into a dough, the bread wouldn’t be soft and tender but dry and brittle.
We used our bread flour blend to start. The rest is fairly simple in terms of ingredients. We paired this with a balsamic vinaigrette, as a bread dip. You can find the recipe in the Strawberry Pecan Summer Salad. In fact, have the bread with the salad. It will be smashing!
French Baguettes - gluten free
- large bowl
- baguette pans
- 3 cups bread flour blend
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 2 ½ tsp psyllium husks, divided
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp fresh herbs, thyme & rosemary
- 1 ¾ cups hot water, 110-120 F
- 1 tbsp yeast, fast acting
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 5 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- Line your pan with parchment paper.Fine chop your fresh herbs.
- Add all the hot water, a thermometer. Make sure the thermometer reads between 110-120, then add you sugar, yeast, ½ psyllium husks and stir. Let yeast activate while you get the rest ready (2-3 minutes)
- Measure flour, salt, xanthan gum, fresh herbs and other ½ psyllium husks into a large bowl. Whisk or mix with mixer.
- Once yeast is bubbling on top, add to flour mix, add oil.Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon batter into parchment lined baguette pan. Spray top with oil
- Let rise in draft free, warm place for 45 minutes or so. I use the proof setting on my oven (100F)
- Once bread has about doubled in size. Remove from oven if proofing in there.Preheat oven to 400 F
- Once oven is to heat, add 2-4 Tbsp (or so) water to the oven to create steam. Close door to allow steam to fill oven, about 1 minute.Be careful when you open the oven door! Steam burns!! Add bread to oven. Set timer for 30 minutes.
- Bread will brown on the outside, but if it looks like it will get too brown, cover with foil.