Cranberry, Sweet Pecan Upside Down Cake
A quick gluten free and vegan recipe to help use up that left over cranberry sauce from Thanksgiving. Homemade cranberry sauce won’t keep until Christmas and we have a simple recipe to use up the leftovers from Thanksgiving. Upside down Cranberry Sweet Pecan Cake.
Another not too sweet cake, that allows for the sweetened toppings to shine through with their flavours. Cranberry Sweet Pecan Upside down cake uses our Cranberry Sauce recipe, our vegan Sweet Pecans recipe and our sweet gluten free flour blend to make it.
A denser cake with a little lemon zest to make it less neutral, this is a basic cake recipe that we have substituted out the gluten, dairy & egg ingredients 1:1 with our ingredients, so you could make this cake as a regular cake if you prefer or a hybrid.
If you don’t have or don’t want to make our sweet pecans recipe, use regular halved pecans and add your favourite sugar, to make them sweeter and make them set on the Cranberry Sweet Pecan upside down cake. Our sweet pecans are sweet already so we keep the recipe simple with just our pecans and our cranberry sauce on top.
Just as an aside, I’ve noticed store bought cranberry sauce will live a long time in the fridge. Doesn’t this make you a little nervous about using it? I’ve never seen a recipe to use it up before, it just sits there, useable, forever.
Regardless, our cranberry sauce recipe will need to be used up, so this handy cranberry sweet pecan upside down cake is a tasty way to finish up the left overs. This can also be made into upside down muffins or a loaf!
Want to make it nut-free, try pumpkin seeds instead of pecans. Be sure to balance out the tart of the cranberries with a little extra of your favourite sweetener!
Cranberry Sweet Pecan Upside Down Cake
- cake pan
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- mixer or hand mixer
Upside Down Topping
- ½ cup sweet pecans, our recipe
- ½ cup cranberry sauce, our recipe
For the cake
- ½ cup vegan butter, we used MELT
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¾ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp guar gum
- ½ cup aquafaba, for 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup plant milk, (used for buttermilk) with
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups sweet gluten free flour blend, our recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375 ° FGrease a cake pan or loaf pan or muffin tinsPlace plant milk and apple cider vinegar in a container and stir to create buttermilk
- With a spoon place sweet pecans evenly around the bottom of the greased cake pan, leaving spaces for the cranberry sauce to sit betweenWith a spoon place blobs of cranberry sauce between the sweet pecans and make the whole topping area flat and evenly dispersed.Set aside while cake is prepared.
- With a mixer, cream butter & sugar.Then add baking powder, guar gum, salt and nutmeg.Add cold aquafaba and vanilla and beat until fluffy.
Alternate flour and milk
- Starting and ending with flour, alternately add flour then milk, then flour to fluffy butter mixture.Stop mixing when just combined.
- Carefully pour over top of prepared cranberry/pecan cake pan.Use spatula to level, if necessary.
- Bake in 375° F oven for 30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.Cool slightly then flip onto a plate to finish cooling.Cool completely before slicing