CHOCOLATE MOLASSES COCONUT GRANOLA
Granola is a perfect breakfast, snack, take along on a hike or eat for a simple dinner. Add chocolate and coconut and it is a not to be missed household favourite. Chocolate molasses, coconut granola and well my family was eating it hot out of the pan.
Granola is easy to make but seems so complicated.
There are so many brands on the market, why make one? Again, with my dietary restrictions, I can’t find one that I can eat.
I was astounded at how well the molasses worked in this flavour pairing and this simple recipe can be altered so many ways. After I made it, I realized, the molasses could have paired well with ginger and clove, to resemble gingersnaps and been an amazing version. Next time….
TASTES SO GOOD
In the meantime, the granola we made is outstanding. We tried it with vanilla yogurt and it had a cafe au lait flavour to it. It reminded me of chicory coffee in New Orleans and beautiful cappuccinos in Italy and espresso yogurt I used to be able to eat when we went to Europe 10 years ago.
These are some of my favourite flavour memories and this granola reminded me of all of them.
It’s simple but its so good and often the simple things are.
Chocolate-Molassas, Coconut Granola
- 2 cups quick oats
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup flax meal
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup carob flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ coconut oil
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate - split in half
- Step 1 Put all the dry ingredients and sugar in a large bowl.
- Step 2 Add spices and mix thoroughly
- Step 3 Add molasses, vanilla and oil.
- Step 4 Mix thoroughly and add extra season to taste.
- Step 5 Add ½ dark chocolate
- Step 6 Lay it on a parchment lined cookie sheet
- Step 7 Bake in 275 F, for about 30 minutes or until it darkens slightly and tastes cooked. Stirring every 10 minutes
- Step 8 Allow to cool thoroughly and store in airtight container.