BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST SCONES
I love scones! I’ve always wanted to make fantastic gluten free, dairy free scones. They really need butter to give them the proper texture. I’ve tried coconut oil but it fails because the fat isn’t solid enough at room temperature. I’ve had to wait until the technology of dairy free options has progressed enough to make a fat stick that I could cut into my flour blend.
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- For you Michelle
- Not too sweet, creamy flavour
- I like them dipped in coffee! (and they don’t crumble when I do!)
MELT organic baking sticks to the rescue!
And success! This recipe needs a pastry blender or a food processor to make the right consistency of flour crumbs before adding your fake buttermilk.
I share photos of the process because so much of gluten free baking success comes with knowing what it should look like before you bake it. I give tips and tricks to my methods here.
- Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups - sweet flour blend
- ¼ cup - coconut sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp - baking powder
- ¼ tsp - baking soda
- ½ tsp - salt
- ½ tsp - guar gum
- ½ cup - MELT Organic baking stick
- Wet Ingredients:
- ¾ cup - unsweetened vanilla oat milk
- 1 Tbsp - lemon juice
- 1 tsp - vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen blueberry
- Step 1 Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl with a whisk.
- Step 2 Cut in the fat with a pastry blender, as shown in photo, or pulse in a food processor. The resulting texture should look like fine bread crumbs, also shown in photos.
- Step 3 Add the wet ingredients and fork together.
- Step 4 Lastly, stir in the frozen blueberries.
- Step 5 Use an ice cream disher to portion on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Step 6 Bake 400F or 375F on convection bake for 15 min.
- Step 7 Remove when golden brown on edges