Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
Banana Chocolate Chip bread is a staple in our house. Another recipe I have been making for 15 years or so. It is the first snack we turn to after a run, it’s a stick in packed lunches snack, sometimes it’s dessert.
In fact, this recipe is so popular, I make two loaves at a time, freeze one and the 2 banana bread loaves last about 7-10 days.
We always have it in the house, so why haven’t we posted it?
We’ve been wanting to share this recipe but haven’t for two reasons, due to COVID lockdown, everyone was making banana bread, how do we stand out? Second, I make banana bread so much, I don’t have the recipe written down, I don’t really measure, no one cares if it turns out crumbly or perfect, it gets eaten the same. I needed to get the banana bread recipe back to a place where it was replicable by anyone and could get a result I was happy with and I want you to experience my perfect banana bread.
Perfect banana chocolate chip bread is helped along with the sweet flour blend, and I used vanilla unsweetened oat milk. Should you use a sweetened milk and want to keep the sugar down, use ¼ cup less sugar in the recipe.
Also, this banana chocolate chip bread recipe has lots of cinnamon and nutmeg, that’s how the family likes it, scale it back if its not your favourite.
Lastly, frozen bananas seem to make the recipe behave differently, I believe it is because there is more liquid after freezing. You may have to adjust your recipe so the consistency is the same as the video to get a better result.
- Preference to over ripe bananas, fresh, not frozen (they add too much liquid)
- Use sweet gluten free flour blend
- Make this like a quick bread, dry ingredients in one bowl, wet in another, mix wet into dry
- Give the plant milk and acid a chance to curdle
Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
- loaf pans
- two bowls
- 3 cups sweet flour blend, our recipe
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ⅓ cup vanilla oat milk/plant milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice/apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs replacer = 1 tsp psyllium husk + ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup olive oil
STIR IN LAST:
- 3 over ripe bananas crushed with fork
- 1 pkg chocolate chips/chunks - 283 g bag
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Grease 2 loaf pans
- Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Mix all the wet ingredients in a medium-small bowl, except for oil
- Whisk dry ingredients
- Whisk wet ingredients and set aside to set up
- Mash bananas in a small bowl
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and add oil, whisking to incorporate oil into wet and then wet ingredients into dry.
- Mix until combined and no dry spots, do not over whisk. Batter should look like video, if not add water or flour to get the right consistency.
- Stir in bananas and chocolate chips
- Pour into 2 prepared loaf pans and even out batter
- Bake in oven for 1 hour
- Test when finished, by pressing into the middle and it should spring back
- Cool in pans for 30 minutes, then on a rack until complete.
- Cut into slices and refrigerate in a sealed container to keep fresh. Can also be frozen and enjoyed later.