Apple & Peanut Butter Granola
Apples and peanut butter are a perfect combination, so perfect in fact, we made it into granola. Not too sweet but packed with peanut protein and apple goodness. Paired with a berry yogurt it has the perfect satisfaction of a creamy pb&j in a bowl.
Granola was a weekly staple in our take away section of our catering business. Now we make granola as a breakfast or snack alternative in our house. My husband (Cookin’ It Easy blog) has apple and peanut butter every morning for breakfast on his days off. My daughter has granola and yogurt with berries each morning. This apple & peanut butter granola is a fusion of the two and its delicious.
Granola was outside our world of foods we could enjoy before they started making gluten free oats. While oats do not have gluten in them on their own, they are processed in plants that also process wheat, making them risky for celiacs. Before gluten free oats, I would make granola with a combination of cooked brown rice, cooked quinoa and quinoa flakes. Apple & peanut butter granola could easily be made oat free for those who need it. I would substitute the oats with brown rice and quinoa and cook it down for longer, since the rice will need to crisp up to become crunchy granola.
Notes on peanut butter, I have to admit I didn’t always love peanut butter. I was pregnant when my tastes changed and embraced all that was wonderful about it. We shop very carefully for peanut butter, it is highly processed, often added to (like sugar and wheat) and peanuts tend to be susceptible to a fungus that gives raw food folks some pause when adding regularly available peanuts to their recipes. If you want to substitute another but or seed butter to this recipe, I would recommend it, possibly adding a bit more coconut sugar or add salt to taste. The peanut butter we use is sweetened with agave syrup and coconut oil so it alters apple and peanut butter granola slightly to our peanut butter flavour.
Apple & Peanut Butter Granola
- large bowl
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- cookie sheet
- 1 cup rolled oats gluten free
- 1 cup quick oats, gluten free
- ½ cup peanuts, blanched and roasted
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup apple sauce, made from one apple
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 apple, diced
- Preheat your oven to 300°Line a cookie sheet with parchment
- Dice 1 apple into ¼ - ½" piecesPuree 1 apple into apple sauce
- Heat coconut oil and peanut butter in microwave for 15 seconds to soften, if necessary (it's cold at my house today so I needed to)
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients, oats, nuts, sugar and chia seeds.
- Add coconut oil, peanut butter and apple sauce, combine thoroughly.
- Stir in apple pieces.
Bake, low & slow
- Pour contents onto the parchment lined cookie sheet. Flattening to make level.Bake in oven until golden and granola starts to form clumps. Then turn every 15 minutes to ensure even cooking until crunchy granola is achieved.
- Cool completely and if apples are not dehydrated from the cooking process then store in the fridge to make sure they are safe.